Thursday, 30 December 2010

USMC

I bought a pack of Airfix multipose USMC a while ago and fairly recently thought I'd get a couple of them painted. I'm pleased with the results. These are the first figures I used GW washes on and since then I use them where and when possible.










Sunday, 26 December 2010

French Bunker Indo China

I wanted to contribute to my dad's Vietnam range, and thought about doing a bunker as a bit of scenery/objective marker. After a little bit of thought and research I thought that an old French bunker would look quite good on the board.
These bunkers where built during the French occupation of Indo-China after the Second World War, they were used as security with the next one being quite a distance away. They were very poor in the defence of occupied Indo-China as the Viet Minh could sneak up under the cover of darkness and wipe out a bunker with ease. The French wouldn't be able to send any help until daylight and then maybe not straight away the day after...the Americans learned from this and used fixed defensive positions that could be self sufficient if came under attack and could sometimes be within fire support range of neighbouring camps...

Here are some pictures of French bunkers:


Here is my attempt at a French bunker:
Here is a layout of the pieces with wall supports already attached onto the base

A close up of the base with wall supports

A Parkfield US GI standing in the door way of the half built bunker

Same as above

The sweetie tube I used for the turret thing on top

Turret thing in position with Parkfield US GI

The supports and roof attached to the turret thing

A layer of Polly Filla applied to the bunker and to the base

Same as above

Base coat of Vallejo German Grey

After dry brushing the bunker (from Vallejo German Grey to Vallejo Medium Sea Grey) I attached some aquarium plants with hot glue (best way to attach this plant stuff)

Same as above from different view

After all the glue was set (doesn't take too long) I applied PVA to the base and to some areas on the roofs and piled on sand. Once dry gave a coat of Vallejo US Field Drab and drybrushed with GW Bleached Bone. Once that was dry more PVA was applied in patches and static grass (of different colours) was sprinkled on. After waiting for that to dry I applied splodges of contact adhesive and attached some clump foliage to the base and roof...once I get a bit of time after all the festivities I might find time to attach some grass tufts :)

Below are more pictures of the finished bunker:








As soon as me and my dad have a game to try out the new rule set that we are developing for Parkfield Miniatures I will get some more pics of the bunker uploaded with other scenery and figures...and I might even make another one or two of these to be sold by Parkfield, watch this space...

Wednesday, 15 December 2010

Triflemen

Just painted up some 95th Riflemen for a mate. He's ex RGJ (Royal Green Jackets) and I thought this would be a nice 'house warming' present...



The figures are Parkfield Miniatures and the base is from last years Christmas tree...always very useful for little things like this

Wednesday, 1 December 2010

Games Workshop - Vallejo

Have just found this great conversion table on the net which shows comparisons of GW, Vallejo Model Colour and Vallejo Game Colour...so, if like me, you're not happy with paying the £2.25 for a GW paint now you can compare and spend less :)

hope this is useful

Comparison Table

Thursday, 18 November 2010

Additions to 'BIG JOE'


Forgot to put the barbed wire roll on 'BIG JOE'...so here it is, all weathered and slightly rusty

Wednesday, 17 November 2010

BIG JOE part 2

My first completed 28mm M113 ACAV 'BIG JOE'...not much to say except hope it looks alright :)